A major player in data hosting
Greater Montréal has quickly become a key hub for data centers and cloud services in North America.
It stands apart from other North American regions thanks to its cool climate, a geographic location that protects it from natural disasters, and its plentiful and affordable energy resources. It’s not surprising that Montréal is now considered one of the best cities in the world to set up data centers.
The region has even been named “Data Center Location of the Year” at the Datacloud Global Awards 2019.
Industry sector data
Montréal is the place to be for foreign companies seeking a solid ecosystem and a fast-growing market.
In recent years, Greater Montréal has welcomed several ambitious investment projects for data hosting and shared services including industry giants such as Google and Amazon.
- Renewable hydroelectric energy and a favourable climate
- Among the most competitive electricity rates in North America at 3.98 ¢/kWh (CAD)
- An impressive information and communications technologies industry
- A world-class hub in artificial intelligence
- A state of the art telecommunications network (Internet gateway to Europe)
- A legal environment that’s favourable to privacy protection
- Financial support programs offered by the Government of Québec and Hydro-Québec