The Green Economy: Why foreign companies and international organizations are choosing Montréal
Greater Montréal has a lot to offer to foreign companies looking to reduce their environmental footprint or develop new cleantech projects. Projects are booming in various sectors, including the electrification of the transportation network, building decarbonization, AgTech, and they have a real impact on our clean energy transition.
International organizations also have the unique opportunity to advance sustainable development by becoming part of a diversified and collaborative ecosystem.
Québec, a thriving cleantech hub
A clean and renewable source of electricity
Choosing Montréal means being part of a collaborative ecosystem that fosters the development of clean technologies
Montréal draws its strength from a diversified ecosystem that includes many research hubs, international and industry organizations, as well as leaders in transportation electrification, sustainable mobility, artificial intelligence and cybersecurity.
Québec especially stands out for its renewable energy, which has a limited impact on the environment and the climate compared to other sources of power generation.
- Solid government commitment with incentives favouring the clean energy transition including refundable tax credits:
• 30% to manufacture or transform clean technologies
• 15% to support and accelerate clean electricity investment
• 15-40% to bolster investment in clean hydrogen
- A strategic location in North America
- Canada is the 2nd-most attractive country for cleantech companies
- Hydro-Québec, Canada’s largest electricity producer and one of the largest hydro power producers in the world
- More than 190,000 IT talents
- World-class universities and targeted training programs
- Operating costs among the lowest in North America
They chose Montréal
International non-governmental organizations have access to a comprehensive support program
Among the 70 or so international organizations (IOs) based in Montréal, over a dozen are working toward a transition to greener practices. These organizations focus on issues that range from ecosystem protection and natural resource conservation to stakeholder engagement, offering a beacon of hope for the future. See the list of international organizations and download our sustainable development profile.
- Ranked 3rd in the Americas for the number of IOs
- 5 UN bureaux
- Cluster of aerospace IOs, all engaged to make the civil aviation industry greener and safer
- A support program and hosting policy for IOs
Contact our experts
Director, Business Development, Clean Technologies