Tax credits and tax holidays are powerful tools that you can use to instantly enhance project profitability and give your organization a competitive advantage. Some tax credits are refundable, meaning that you can receive the full amount of the tax credit even if you don’t owe any taxes.
Industry-specific tax credits
These tax credits are intended to drive growth in specific sectors or help Québec businesses strengthen their areas of expertise. Most tax credits cover salaries and labour costs:
- Up to 43% for video and film production, including visual effects and animation
- Up to 37.5% for multimedia production (video games)
- Up to 30% for the development of e-business (IT), including e-commerce
- Up to 24% for international financial centres
Research and Development (R&D) incentives
A number of tax measures at both the federal and provincial levels are designed to encourage R&D in Québec. They help make Greater Montréal a global hub for innovation in different strategic areas, including artificial intelligence.
- Tax credits of up to 30% on R&D costs, including qualifying salaries.
- A one-to-five-year tax exemption for foreign researchers and experts, a major plus in recruiting world-class specialists.
Incentives for big investment projects
Under a specific program, businesses may be exempt from paying income taxes and making contributions to the health services fund for certain investments over $100 million.
Financial support is also available to businesses in various sectors to help them reduce their operating costs. Contact a Montréal International advisor to learn more about available tax incentives and see how you can take advantage of them.