Visual effects: What makes Montréal so special
Over the last 10 years, the city has emerged as a global hub in the visual effects and animation industry, thanks to an estimated 27% average annual growth rate. It’s not surprising that Montréal is now considered one of the best cities in the world to set up an animation studio.
Industry sector data
Montréal is the place to be for foreign companies seeking top talent in visual effects and IT architecture.
The strong concentration of local and foreign studios has contributed to Montréal’s reputation as a global leader in visual effects and animation. Their common strengths? Access to top-notch expertise and an ultra-competitive business environment.
- Creative and highly specialized workers trained at the finest post-secondary institutions
- The most competitive operating costs among the 20 largest cities in Canada and the United States
- A diverse ecosystem, allowing for the production of any size of films
- A quality of life that attracts and retains the world’s best talent
- Tax credits that can cover up to 43% of labour costs
“ Montréal’s popularity is a big advantage when you’re recruiting abroad. It’s a very livable, welcoming and creative city that has won the hearts of artists and professionals from all over the world. ”
General Manager, Moving Picture Company
“ Cinesite Montréal’s success has surpassed all of our expectations. Five years later, the things that make Montréal so attractive are still there. The city’s got talent, creative potential and a vibrant tech culture. Add to that the competitive operating costs and Montréal International’s constant support, and you’ve got a perfect ecosystem for innovative businesses like ours. ”
Chief Operating Officer, Cinesite Montréal